Home > Uncle Biek > Out of order

Out of order

I’m writing you this when it happened but will not be able to post it before tomorrow morning because my internet connection, or to be precise: my phone line, got disconnected just a few minutes ago and this moment of disconnection was so unbelievably bad timed because tonight would have been my first race with the GPRT in a very long time. Somehow it seems it just wasn’t meant to be.

Tonight would have been my great re-entree in ‘the racing scene’ which sounds awesome but is actually nothing more than me racing online with the GPRT again, for the first time since a (too) long absence. As you might remember, hardware problems had caused my gaming PC to die out on me and although it hasn’t been fixed yet, I did manage to get my previous machine setup so it can run rFactor, our most used sim. It now runs in such a way that I can race online with the guys once again which is all that I need for now. I want to race again. Period.

At first I thought it was a rFactor server hiccup, because those do happen from time to time, and when I switched my screen to the server’s it showed that everybody but me had disconnected from it so I restarted the server to let everyone reconnect once again. But when the server had restarted nobody joined it for a few minutes which is odd. Normally after a restart everyone is waiting for the server to come online and join in directly, but tonight nobody did.

After waiting a few minutes more I turned to our forum to see if there were any problems and then the scale of the problem became a little bit clearer to me: I lost my internet connection. No wonder nobody could join, the server wasn’t even visible online. Duh! So I cursed at the bad timing, reset the modem and waited until the ADSL connection kicked in, which is usually after a few seconds. Again though, tonight was an exception. The modem came back online as usual but no ADSL connection could be made.

To determine where the problem was coming from I tried the phone next and that’s when I found out that there was no dial tone. No dial tone meant no phone line, which in terms meant ADSL couldn’t work either. Damn! I called the service line on my mobile phone and the ever friendly tape I got told me that there was a ‘problem with the network in my region’ and that it would take until tomorrow morning seven o clock to get it fixed. Right. That’s it then.

Next I phoned Bas to explain the situation and why the server had gone and then called dad to tell him that he possibly wouldn’t have internet tomorrow. He asked me if I remembered that there had been a notice about some maintenance work being done this Monday … Obviously, I didn’t. Well, so much for returning to the track. It is simply not going to happen tonight, that’s for sure. So I’m just going to watch a movie now and hope that tomorrow everything is restored to normal.

Have a nice evening all.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: